This is a summary of known titles of research papers on Hemp by various researchers. Researcher is listed then website of their page on the web. For a copy of the paper do a search in the publication listed or contact the researcher.
University of Manitoba
Researcher - Rotimi Aluko,Professor, Department of Human Nutritional Sciences, University of Manitoba http://umanitoba.ca/faculties/afs/dept/hns/staff/aluko.html
109. Malomo SA,Aluko RE.2015. A comparative study of the structural and functional properties of isolated hemp seed (Cannabis sativaL.) albumin and globulin fractions.Food Hydrocolloids43, 743-752.
108. Girgih AT, Alashi AM, He R, Malomo SA, Raj P, Netticadan T,Aluko RE.2014. A novel hemp seed meal protein hydrolysate reduces oxidative stress factors in spontaneously hypertensive rats.Nutrients6, 5652-5666.
105. Malomo SA, He R,Aluko RE. 2014. Structural and functional properties of hemp seed protein products.J. Food Sci.79, C1512-C1521.
104. Girgih AT, He R,Aluko RE.2014. Kinetics and molecular docking studies of the inhibitions of angiotensin converting enzyme and renin activities by hemp seed (Cannabis sativaL.) peptides.J. Agric. Food Chem.62, 4135−4144.
103. Girgih AT, Alashi AM, He R, Malomo SA,Aluko RE.2014. Preventive and treatment effects of hemp seed (Cannabis sativaL.) meal protein hydrolysate against high blood pressure in spontaneously hypertensive rats.Eur. J. Nutr.53, 1237–1246.
100. Girgih AT, He R, Malomo SA, Offengenden M, Wu J,Aluko RE.2014. Structural and functional characterization of hemp seed (Cannabis sativaL.) protein-derived antioxidant and antihypertensive peptides.J. Funct. Foods6, 384–394.
89. Girgih A.T., Udenigwe, C.C.,Aluko R.E. 2013. Reverse-phase HPLC separation of hemp seed (Cannabis sativaL.) protein hydrolysate produced peptide fractions with enhanced antioxidant capacity.Plant Foods Hum. Nutr.68, 39-46.
72. Girgih, A.T., Udenigwe, C.C., Li, H., Adebiyi, A.P.,Aluko, R.E.2011. Kinetics of enzyme inhibition and antihypertensive effects of hemp seed (Cannabis sativaL.) protein hydrolysates.J Am Oil Chem Soc.88, 1767-1774.
Researcher - Ying Chen(Ph.D, P.Eng),http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~cheny/
Professor, Department of Biosystems Engineering, University of Manitoba
Research Papers http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~cheny/Publications.htm
3. Sadek, M.A. and Y. Chen. 2014. Discrete Element Modeling of Hemp Particle Separation Using a 3D Vibratory Separator. Canadian Biosystems Engineering. 55: 2.23-2.31. (DIO:10.7451/CBE.2013.55.2.23
5. Sadek, M.A., Y. Chen, C. Lagüe, H. Landry. 2014. Simulation of tensile tests of hemp fibre using discrete element method. Submitted to CIGR Journal. Feb. 17, 2013. Manuscript ID: 2447.In press
6. Baker, M., Y. Chen, C. Laguë, H. Landry, Q. Peng and W. Zhong. 2013. Fibre yield and energy requirements of hemp decortication using a hammer mill. Applied Engineering in Agriculture. 29(4): 453-460. (DOI: 10.13031/aea.29.8463)
8. Guzman, L., Y. Chen, S. Potter, W. Zhong and M. Rahman. 2013. Application of Stochastic Modelling for Simulating Hemp Fibre Peeling Behaviour. Canadian Biosystems Engineering 55: 2.1-2.8. http://dx.doi.org/10.7451/CBE.2013.55.2.1
10. Khan, M., Y. Chen, C. Lagüe, H. Landry, Q. Peng andW. Zhong. 2013. Hemp (Cannabis Sativa) decortication using the drop weight method. Applied Engineering in Agriculture.29(1): 79-87.
12. Parvin, S., Y. Chen, C. Laguë, H. Landry, Q. Peng and W. Zhong. 2013. Post-decortication cleaning of hemp fibre using selected methods. AES Technical Reviews International Journal, Part C: International Journal of Advances and Trends in Engineering Materials and their Applications 1(1): 53-65.
13. Xu, J., Y. Chen, C. Lagüe, H. Landry, Q. Peng andW. Zhong. 2012.Analysis of energy requirement for hemp fibre decortication using a hammer mill. Canadian Bioystems Engineering. 54: 2.1-2.8.
17. Xu, J., Q. Peng and Y. Chen. 2012. Conceptual Design of Hemp Fibre Production Lines in Virtual Environments. Computer-Aided Design and Applications. 9(6): 795-810.
22. Sadek, M.A., Y. Chen, C. Lagüe, H. Landry, Q. Peng andW. Zhong. 2011. Characterization of the shear properties of hemp fiber and core using the discrete element method. Transactions of the ASABE. 54(6): 2279-2285.
23. Khan, M.M.R., Y. Chen, T. Belsham, C. Lagüe, H. Landry, Q. Peng andW. Zhong. 2011. Fineness and tensile properties of hemp (cannabis sativa l.) Fibres. Biosystems Engineering. 108 (2011): 9-17.
27. Baker, M., Y. Chen, C. Laguë, H. Landry, Q. Peng and W. Zhong. 2010. Hemp fibre decortication using a planetary ball mill. Canadian Biosystems Engineering. 52 (2010): 2.7-2.15.
30. Khan, M.M.R., Y. Chen, C. Laguë, H. Landry, Q. Peng and W. Zhong. 2010. Compressive properties of hemp (cannabis sativa l.) Stalks. Biosystems Engineering. 106 (2010): 315-323
32. Khan, M.M.R., Y. Chen, O.WangandJ. Raghavan. 2009. Fineness of Hemp (Cannabis Sativ L.) Fiber Bundle after Post-Decortication Processing Using a Planetary Ball Mill. Applied Engineering in Agriculture 25(6): 827-834.
48. Chen, Y., J. Liu and J. Gratton. 2004. Engineering perspectives of hemp plant, harvesting and processing in Canada – A review. Journal of Industrial Hemp. 9(2): 23-39.
51. Chen, Y., J. Gratton and J. Liu. 2004. Power requirements of hemp cutting and conditioning. Biosystems Engineering. 87(4): 417-424.
52. Gratton, J. and Y. Chen. 2004. Development of a field-going unit to separate fiber from hemp (cannabis sativa) stalk. Applied Engineering in Agriculture. 20(2): 139-145.
55. Chen, Y. and J. Liu. 2003. Development of a windrower for dual-purpose hemp (cannabis sativa). Canadian Biosystems Engineering. 45: 2.1-2.7.
63. Liu, J. and Y. Chen. 2000. Drying rate of hemp conditioned with a forage conditioner. Canadian Agricultural Engineering. 42(4): 201-204.
Researcher - James D. House,Professor and Head of Department, Department of Human Nutritional Sciences, Department Head, University of Manitoba,
- Gakhar, N., Goldberg, E., Jing, M., Gibson, R., andHouse, J.D. 2012. Effect of feeding hempseed and hempseed oil on performance and measures of lipid metabolism in laying hens. Poult. Sci. 91: 701-711.
- Goldberg,E., Gakhar, N., Ryland, D., Aliani, M., Gibson, R., andHouse, J.D.2012. Fatty acid profile and sensory characteristics of table eggs from laying hens fed hempseed and hempseed oil. J. Food Sci. 77: S153-160
- House, J.D., Neufeld, J., and Leson, G. 2010. Evaluating the quality of protein from hemp seed and hemp seed products through the use of the protein digestibility-corrected amino acid score method. J. Agric. Food Chem.58: 11801-11807.
Alternative village – University of Manitoba
Researcher – Kris DickPh.D., P.Eng.
Buildings formed with unconventional materials like straw bales and hemp are being monitored at a unique research site at the University of Manitoba.
Parkland Crop Diversification Foundation (PCDF)
PCDF located in Roblin, is one of four diversification centers located in Manitoba. Other sites are in Melita, Carberry and Arborg. PCDF has been the lead in agronomy research for hemp in Manitoba. Look for hemp in the annual report.
PCDF Annual Report 2007Files continue to 2014. 2015 should be available in February
University of Saskatchewan
Identification of olivetolic acid cyclase fromCannabis sativareveals a unique catalytic route to plant polyketides
- Steve J. Gagnea,b, ,Jake M. Stouta,b, Enwu Liua,Zakia Boubakira,b,Shawn M. Clarka, andJonathan E. Pagea,b,1
Alberta Innovates - Technology Futures (AITF)
Hwy 16A & 75 Street, Vegreville, Alberta
- Slaski J. J., Vidmar J. J., Anyia A. O., Deyholos M., Wang H.: Development of industrial hemp feedstocks in Alberta for manufacturing biocomposites and other high-value materials. In: “Flax and Other Bast Plants”, Saskatoon, Canada, ISBN 978-09809664-0-4, p. 417 (2008).
- Dear M.K., Coutts B., Slaski J. J., Vidmar J. J.: Reverse genetics in industrial hemp. In: “Flax and Other Bast Plants”, Saskatoon, Canada, ISBN 978-09809664-0-4, p. 422 (2008).
- Slaski J. J., Vidmar J. J., Mahmood T., Quandt J., Deyholos M.: Industrial hemp in Western Canada: An alternative crop for high-value compounds and materials. Proc. “12thIntl. Conf. Renewable Resources and Plant Biotechnology – NAROSSA”, Magdeburg, Germany, on CD from ÖHMI Consulting GmbH (2006).
- Dear M. K., T. Mahmood, J.J. Slaski, J. J. Vidmar: Targeting better hemp trait using reverse genetics. Can. J. Plant Sci. 86, 188 (2006).
- Vidmar J.J., T. Mahmood, J.J. Slaski, M. K. Deyholos, J. Quandt: Industrial hemp, a carbon sequestering alternative crop for high-value compounds and materials. Proc. “Capturing Canada’s Green Advantage” BIOCAP Conference, p. 72-73 (2005).
- Slaski, J. J., M. Gorda, J. J. Vidmar, D. J. Archambault, A. O. Anyia, J. Quandt: Differential response of industrial hemp (Cannabis sativa L) cultivars to drought stress. Proc. “The Science of Changing Climates” Conference, SP02, p. 42 (2004).
University of Toronto- Refereed Journal Publications
- Hajiha, H., Sain, M., and Mei, L.H. "Modification and Characterization of Hemp and Sisal Fibers"Journal of Natural Fibers,11(2): 144-168, 2014 [No. 273]
- Panthapulakkal, S. and Sain, M. "Isolation of Nano Fibres from Hemp and Flax and Their Thermoplastic Composites"Journal of Plastic and Polymer Technology,2(1): 9-16, 2013 [No. 266]
- Guo, Q., Cheng, B., Kortschot, M., Sain, M., Knudson, R., Deng, J., and Alemdar, A. "Performance of Long Canadian Natural Fibers as Reinforcements in Polymers"Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites,29(21): 3197–3207, 2010 [No. 215]
- Behzad, T. and Sain, M., "Surface and Interface Characterization of Untreated and SMA Imide-Treated Hemp Fiber/Acrylic Composites"Polymer Composites,30(6): 681-690, 2009 [No. 199]
- Balatinecz, J. and Sain, M. "Cars made of wood and hemp fibres? Why not?"Forestry Chronicle,83(4): 482-484, 2007 [No. 180]
- Panthapulakkal, S. and Sain, M. "Studies on the Water Absorption Properties of Short Hemp-Glass Fiber Hybrid Polypropylene Composites"Journal of Composite Materials,41: 1871-1883, 2007 [No. 170]
- Behzad, T., and Sain, M. "Measurement and prediction of Thermal Conductivity for Hemp fiber reinforced composites"Polymer Engineering and Science,47(7): 977-983, 2007 [No. 166]
- Wang, B., and Sain, M., and Oksman, K. "Study of Structural Morphology of Hemp Fiber from the Micro to the Nanoscale"Applied Composite Materials,14 (2): 89-103, 2007 [No. 163]
- Panthapulakkal, S. and Sain, M. "Injection-Molded Short Hemp Fiber/Glass Fiber Reinforced Polypropylene Hybrid Composites - Mechanical, Water Absorption and Thermal Properties"Journal of Applied Polymer Science,103 (4): 2432-2441, 2006 [No. 156]
- Gulati, D. and Sain, M. "Surface Characteristics of Untreated and Modified Hemp Fibers"Journal of Polymer Engineering and Science,46 (3): 269-273, 2006 [No. 151]
- Rouison, D., Sain, M., and Couturier, M. "Resin Transfer Molding of Hemp Fiber Composites: Optimization of the Process and Mechanical Properties of the Materials"Composite Science and Technology,66(7-8): 895-906, 2006 [No. 132]
- Behzad, T. and Sain, M. "Cure Simulation of Hemp Fiber Acrylic Based Composites During Sheet Molding Process"Polymers and Polymer Composites,13(3): 235-244, 2005 [No. 126]
- Rouison, D., Sain, M., Couturier, M., MacMillan, B., and Balcom, B. J. "Water Absorption of Hemp Fiber/Unsaturated Polyester Composites"Polymer Composites,26(4): 509-525, 2005 [No. 125]
- Prasad, B.M., Sain, M., and Roy, D.N. "Properties of Ball Milled Thermally Treated Hemp Fibers in Inert Atmosphere for Potential Composite Reinforcement"Journal of Materials Science,40: 4271-4278, 2005 [No. 122]
- Prasad, B., Sain, M., and Roy, D. N. "Structure Property Correlation of Thermally Treated Hemp Fiber"Macromolecular Materials Engineering,289(6): 581-592, 2004 [No. 109]
- Prasad, B. and Sain, M. "Mechanical properties of thermally treated hemp fibres in inert atmosphere as potential composite reinforcement" Material Research Innovation, 7: 231-238, 2003 [No. 101]
Hempseed as a nutritional resource: An overview
J.C. Callaway,Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, University of Kuopio, FIN-70211 Kuopio, Finland;